Reduced bill? Check. Benefiting the planet? Check!
Electricity is a utility that we take for granted. Until the power goes out and we’re left huddled around a candle and a game of Jenga, we don’t realize how much we rely on this service.
With that said, the monthly electricity bill is one that can quickly soar. In 2012, the average U.S. household used 903 kilowatts of electricity every year. Since more devices are being bought, charged, and used, the power consumption is steadily rising.
Luckily, there are ways to save on your monthly bill by cutting down your usage. Read on for quick and easy tips!
- Unplug! Even if your electronics are turned off, they’re still using energy. By unplugging your devices, you’re saving energy by cutting off all electricity flowing to them. Plus, this is a pretty simple task that doesn’t cost a penny!
- Splurge for solar panels. One of the best ways to save electricity is to produce your own. With grants and payment plans available, you can put the sun’s energy to use!
- Use your ceiling fans year round. When the air blows down, it helps to cool the room and keep it comfortable, keeping your A.C. at a minimum. Turn the fan the other way in winter so that it pulls the cold air up to help keep you warm!
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs. Make the switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFL bulbs) that use up to 75 percent less energy!
- Wash your clothes with cold water. Studies have shown that 90 percent of the energy that a washer uses comes from heating up the water to use in the cycle. If you wash in cold water, you can avoid pretty much all of the energy cost!
From the escrow experts at Eastland Escrow, we hope that you enjoy your lower monthly bill – and benefitting the planet! Visit us for all of your escrow needs within Covina and the surrounding area.