String the lights, hang the holly, and don’t forget these important safety tips.
While many of us start decorating the minute after Thanksgiving day, others wait until mid-December before putting up the tree and hanging the stockings. If you’re part of the latter, fear not. It’s best to take important holiday decorating safety tips in hand before toppling over from trying to put the star on the tree.
Decorating your home is a great way to kick off the holidays, but be sure to stay safe while you do so!
- If you purchase an artificial tree, always look for the label ‘Fire Resistant’.
- Are you going to buy a live tree? Keep it from drying out by ensuring the stand is filled with water and it gets topped up regularly.
- Never place a Christmas tree close to heat sources, such as a fireplace, radiator, or portable heater.
- Place the tree well out of the way of foot traffic and ensure all light cords are neatly tucked away so there is no chance of tripping.
- Be sure all the lights that you use for outdoors are certified for outdoor use.
- Use insulated staples or hooks to hold lights in place – never use nails or tacks!
- Never pull or tug on lights to remove them!
- Turn off all decorative lights before you go to bed.
- Check all tree lights for broken sockets, blown fuses, and loose connections before hanging them on your tree.
- Never burn gift-wrap in your fireplace.
Now that you know how to hang the stockings with care, let the professionals at Eastland Escrows take a load off your plate this season – visit us today to find out how we can handle all of your escrow needs in Covina, California.